Saturday, February 14, 2009

Memories of Bensonhurst


My memories of Bensonhurst is the wonderful pizza, the men standing on the street for no reason, the good fellow style cops, the huge nails on women, big hair-do's, and men with too much hair styling gel on their hair. These people shaped bensonhurst in 1980. While being raising there is a strange experience. Most would assume Bensonhurst to be a chill spot. The area has changed from its Italian Guido look into a multi-ethnic community by early 2000's.


In 1980 I still remember the white castle on 86th st close to 22ave. It was like a drive through and across the street was a huge fruit and veggie Market with cold cuts and not far off was Spumoni gardens.
Its interesting that most of the bus drivers are still big Italian guys who now live in Staten Island. Despite growing up there, I hardly knew them, I am a Russian Jew and tended to always find other non-Italians to befriend. Most of the area has for rent signs up. Like of NY it changes and the new immigrants come in and take over. This area is still holding on to its Italian heritage despite most of the Italian residents having moved to Staten Island.

Bensonhurst is what is it and I have always been unforgiving about it's down falls.




When I'm far away from Brooklyn I find myself missing it. What I miss now is the Russian food stores and the new bensonhurst.


Now bensonhurst runs to the beat of the Chinese coffee shops, where Muslims, Chinese, Russians, and Mexicans come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment