Saturday, February 14, 2009

Spumoni Gardens in my memories

Spumoni Gardens is to Italian, what Bensonhurst is to Guido. It is what I remember most, ice and a slice at the garden's. It was the hot spot 15 years ago. When I was 5 years old I remember thinking it was the greatest place. The area has slowly changed over many times, the hay day of Guido Paradise faded, the wiseguys are missing from street corners, and the pizzeria's are being replaced by Chinese bakeries.



I still go to Spumoni Gardens, but not for just a slice or blue ice. Late January 2009 I walked in for a square. I found the place full of Arabic speaking workers. They are new to this country and Spumoni Gardens is new to them. I laugh at the irony of the situation. These are Italian institutions and the people behind the counter are the immigrants that used to not be welcomed. The square is what Spumoni's is famous for, it arrives luke warm and a tad bit burned. The square is small but thick with slathered chunky tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I eat the slice at the run down table in the back, built over 50 years ago. The square has a tangy flavor and the tomato sauce is a mixture of bitter oregano and stewed tomato's. This slice is not soggy and the bottom of the square has a great crust with a soft sweet interior. The notorious square was fine but my memory says it was amazing.



The thought of the smiling older man giving me my blue ice brought instant heaven. The ice was impossible to eat in -1 Celsius, somehow I ate all the sweet ice. The ultra sweet chunk of blue ice, was the frozen kool aid of my dreams. Ah, why over analyze these memories.
Now Bensonhurst runs to the beat of the Chinese coffee shops where Muslims, Chinese, Russians, and Mexicans come together. With coffee and a bun for a dollar, how can the garden's win.

No comments:

Post a Comment